What to do if you are worried about an adult
Safeguarding is defined as 'protecting an adult's right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.' (Care Act guidance, chapter 14). Adult safeguarding is about preventing and responding to concerns of abuse, harm or neglect of adults.
Adult safeguarding duties apply to any adult who:
- has care and support needs (irrespective of whether those needs are being supported by services), and
- is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect, and
- is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of abuse or neglect, because of those needs.
Additionally Local Authorities also now have safeguarding responsibilities for carers.
Abuse is an act whether intentional or unintentional which harms an adult. Abuse can happen anywhere and be carried out by anyone and it can take many different forms. See the next page which explains a bit more about abuse categories and their possible indicators.
If you are suffering abuse or concerned about someone - please get in touch with the Customer Contact Centre on 0161 253 5151 or on 0161 253 6606 outside of these hours. Service available Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 5.30pm or email email@example.com. Professionals please complete the Safeguarding Adult Concern Form [124kb].
Bury Safeguarding Adults Board
The Board is an independent board and does not formally report to any other body. However, the Board is accountable for ensuring structures are in place to deliver effective adult safeguarding in Bury. The Board is made up of senior representatives from many different organisations and has three core duties:
- To develop and publish a "strategic plan".
- Publish an annual report
- Commission Safeguarding Adult Reviews (SARs) where, for example, an at risk adult either dies or is seriously injured as a result of abuse or neglect.
Relevent information relating to the Board is available in "downloads" on this page. If you would like to contact the Board please ring Bury Council Strategic Safeguarding Team on 0161 253 7365.