Skip to main content

Report a concern about a child

How to report abuse

We have a duty to protect children and young people from harm caused by neglect or abuse. This includes investigating any allegations that a child might be being neglected or abused, and if necessary take appropriate action to protect the child.

If a child is in immediate danger, you should contact the Emergency Services - 999 or Greater Manchester Police - 101.

If there is no immediate danger, or you need advice or information, you can telephone the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub on 0161 253 5678 (outside normal office hours 0161 253 6606).  This is a team of experienced children's services professionals, who are trained to deal with sensitive issues. They will ask you a few short questions to find out how best to deal with your concern.

The Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub works closely with other professionals to make sure that action is taken and the right level of support can be given to the right people at the right time.

You can also contact the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000.


If you work or volunteer for an organisation discuss your concern with a manager or designated professional. 

If you need information from the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub about a child, young person or family, please complete the request for information form. 

If you need to submit a referral to the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub, please use the request for support form.